HVAC Maintenance Technician
San Antonio, TX, USA
We are currently seeking skilled Commercial HVAC Service Technicians with a minimum of 3 years of commercial HVAC service experience. The Commercial Service Technician is responsible for the installation, maintenance and repair of HVAC systems utilizing their knowledge of refrigeration theory, electrical schematics, pneumatics and electronic control systems, pipe fitting, welding/brazing and mechanical layouts.
- Troubleshoot, repair and make modifications to HVAC System
- Adhere to all city, state, and federal regulatory statues
- Maintain maintenance records as required by City, State, and EPA regulations
- Order and maintain parts needed to repair and maintain HVAC Equipment
- Responsible for servicing HVAC equipment at plant location to ensure proper maintenance and operations of the equipment.
- Performs repairs, overhauls, and start-ups of commercial HVAC systems
- Understands and has mastered the refrigeration cycles to include: identifying components in advanced refrigeration circuits, understanding how each component works, diagnosing and correcting problems in the refrigeration circuit, using manifold gauge set, pressure/temperature chart and temperature measuring devices for routine maintenance and to troubleshoot.
- Understands refrigeration recovery, evacuation and charging, understands the installation and sizing of refrigerant piping.
- Understands and has mastered the heating cycle to include: identifying components in heating system, understanding how each component works, diagnosing problems in the heating system using a gas pressure test and other devices for routine maintenance and to troubleshoot and repair.
- Understands and has mastered electron theory, how electricity travels, AC and DC currents, single phase and three phase circuits, and series and parallel circuits. Ability to read wiring advanced wiring diagrams. Knowledge of Ohms Law. Ability to use multi-meters to read voltage, current and resistance values. Must be able to troubleshoot advanced electrical circuits.
- Understands and has mastered the fundamentals of temperature and humidity measurement and control in air conditioning units. Understands the process of treating air so as to simultaneously control its temperature, humidity, cleanliness and distribution. Ability to use a psychometric chart to determine the results of mixing air having various properties.
- Understands and has mastered all types of HVAC systems and how each component within the system operates in conjunction with the other components and how that impacts the overall operations of the system as a whole. These systems include but are not limited to air cooled, water cooled, hot water systems, chilled water systems, VAV systems, steam heating systems and building automation control systems.
Performs these additional duties as needed
- Performs the maintenance and preventative maintenance care of all facility/utilities processing tools.
- Preforms preventive and corrective maintenance tacks all facility systems and tools.
- Preforms schedule, tasks for all preventative maintenance to minimize production loss time and maximize preventative maintenance effectiveness.
- Responsible for facility/utilities related quality control and/or quality improvements.
- Helps create facility equipment corrective maintenance troubleshooting guides and procedures.
- Supports maintenance portion of any facility equipment startups, shutdowns, upgrades, and changes.
- Drives overall cost of ownership maintenance improvement methodologies for equipment.
- Helps manages facility/utility consumables, spares, and related support services for assigned tools.
- Ensures a clean and safe facility owned work areas using the 5S manufacturing methodology.
- Helps establishes and reports on facility/utility performance metrics, spares and consumable usage, and component life times on assigned tools.
- Maintains accurate records and logs on all facility/utilities maintenance activities.
- Ensures good communication between and across all facility shifts and/or days of the week.
Education and Experience
- High school diploma (required)
- 2-4 years of experience as an HVAC Technician (required)
- EPA Universal Certification (required)
- HVAC Certification (required)
- Associate’s degree, HVAC trade school certification or 5 year apprenticeship program (a plus)
- EPA Approved Universal Technician Certification
- Low Voltage Electrical Certification preferred
- 2 years of DDC Experience preferred.
- BMS Controls Operation & Functions (a plus)
Required Skills and Abilities
- Excellent reading, writing, arithmetic, and communication skills required.
- Good knowledge of all critical central utility equipment operations including boilers and related distribution, chilled water systems and related distribution, specialty chiller systems, cooling tower operations, electrical switch gear operation, air compressor systems and related distribution, and emergency power generator operation and transfer station controls.
- Able to read and interpret mechanical and electrical drawings and diagrams.
- Multi-skilled in general facility related maintenance and construction disciplines.
- Basic electrical distribution, lighting maintenance, plumbing & pipefitting, HVAC maintenance and repair, refrigeration, front end building automation systems.
- Basic environmental regulation knowledge.
- Relevant knowledge in toxic gas and wet chemical handling systems.
- Proficient with software applications such as Microsoft Office and Microsoft Project.
- Strong problem-solving skills and ability to creatively develop and implement maintenance solutions to improve equipment or facility performance.
- Ability to multi-task as well as manage daily, weekly, and monthly required maintenance performance targets or deliverables effectively.
- Creates an environment of high productivity and enthusiasm across all shift team members to excel or exceed operation or company specified targets.
- Able to work with minimal supervision or guidance.
Preferred Skills and Abilities
- Knowledge of solar manufacturing processes, procedures, and machinery preferred.
- Experience with new process development and implementation preferred.
- Statistical process data entry, charting, and quality control understanding preferred.
- Frequently lift, carry, move and position objects weighing up to 50 pounds unassisted, when performing essential job functions.
- Extended time standing or walking on hard production floor with confined spaces, multiple turns, or rooms.
- Bend, stoop, crouch, ascend, and descend on a regular basis when performing essential job functions.
- Constantly observe, assess, inspect, detect, convey, and exchange information when performing essential job functions.